Thursday 16 April 2015

It all went Pete Tong!


Well, it really has gone a bit wrong since my last post.
Out of the blue Graeme got a job in the Shetlands and we decided that just before he went we would still go to Wales for the Born To Run 40 mile ultra. The weather was horrendous (heavy rain and very bad windy conditions) and unfortunately within a mile I could hardly breathe. I was already in last place and the sweeper (who happened to be the lovely Natasha) was with me. I really struggled and she did her very best to try and help me along with cheery chatter and trying to take my mind off it. By about 4 miles I was just getting worse and worse and I said that at the point where Graeme would be at the beach (roughly 6 miles in) I would have to pull out. At about 5 miles I was in such a bad way that I couldn't even breathe enough to take my inhaler and I worried a few people, including Matt (the Race Director).
So, I did indeed pull out at 6 miles and spent the next 12 hours trying to breathe again. It was absolutely horrible.

The following weekend was Easter so I decided to do my "Weekend Training Camp" that Shaun had suggested to me as it is something William does. He said it would give me a good indication of how my body feels after having to run over a few days. I managed only 16 miles on the Friday because I couldn't be bothered, did nothing on Saturday, and despite having a brand new route organised for Sunday, I only did 14 miles of it and cried for the last 2 as I felt so miserable being on my own with Graeme away.

So, I believe I have pulled myself together and so am starting the weekend of running tomorrow, kicking off with a 20 mile run. I'm actually looking forward to it. I got an email about 10 minutes ago asking what I would like on my bib for the race. Crikey... it's all getting a bit real now!

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete