Sunday 26 April 2015

All done


So, I finally did my training camp weekend. I did 20 miles on Friday evening, 40 miles on Saturday and 30 miles on Sunday. I was feeling all smug with myself thinking how I've never done 90 miles outside of a race before and I was looking forward to a taper until I got an email from Shaun saying my next weekend would certainly shock my body. Shock my body?? Had I not just done that?

So this weekend I was told to do a very intense squat session (which involved doing 500 partial squats as part of it... amongst other things) then I had to do an hour on Saturday wearing weight but very fast intervals, then Sunday involved 2 runs... one on the morning wearing weight and faster than race pace and the other on the afternoon without weight but faster and a sprint at the end.

The weights went well and I lifted (partials) 35 metric tons overall. The run on Saturday was absolutely exhausting but I managed to get up to 6.15mm for the 1 minute fast section of the running (which is a PB, I have never run that fast for a second never mind a minute). When I woke up on Sunday I felt absolutely fine and totally underestimated how hard the running was going to be. I doubled the weight from the day before and within about 4 minutes of running I felt absolutely terrible. At the end of the hour I promptly came into the house and immediately threw up. This is something training has never made me do. I've come close but that's the first time it has happened. I felt pretty awful for a few hours and wasn't convinced the second run would go very well at all. In truth it was a lot better. I ran faster than the morning session, didn't feel sick however despite feeling like I was flying, I could not get below 8mm on the sprint part. When I got home I felt absolutely fine and had got myself a new VO2 Max!!!

I emailed Shaun and he said I should be really happy with my conditioning and determination as not many people could have done it. I'm really happy and ready for my taper now. Hopefully I will get some heat training done (apparently it is going to be approx. 21 degrees over there) but overall I'm going to get some lovely R&R done!

No comments:

Post a Comment