Wednesday 21 January 2015

An attitude change


Training has been going well. At each session I go in with the attitude that I am going to get a PB at something. With weights this has happened fairly easily and I am either getting a PB equal to that prior to hurting my foot in 2012, or I'm getting a whole new PB altogether. Friday saw me deadlifting 85KG. I currently weigh 57.4KG so it's only a teeny smidge under 150% of my bodyweight. I have been trying to achieve this goal for over 4 years and I'm sure at my next attempt I will successfully lift 90KG. 85KG is my all time PB so I was over the moon.

Yesterday I changed around how I do airborne running, in that I attempted two of the 3 sets overarm (as opposed to underarm which I have been doing in the past). The change was a tough one but I'm going to keep at it, and actually, I wasn't as bad at it as I thought I would be.

I ran around a field on Sunday for two and a half hours. I measured out approximately 390 metres and ran around in circles in the absolute freezing wind and driving sleet. I didn't warm up for a day and a half after that! And it wasn't as boring as I expected it to be, although I got some strange looks and comments from the dog walkers out that day! I'm back up to wearing my 4KG weight vest, so, apart from the actual distance and time on my feet, I'm actually doing the same as I was in 2012. This is something I never thought I'd get back to, although I still have to be mindful of my foot and be prepared to scale back if it becomes uncomfortable.

Tonight is my fartlek session (which I love). I've previously done 7mm pace for this as a PB, however now I have my new Garmin I have a feeling I may be slightly slower than this as it's a much more precise measuring tool than a conveyor belt on a treadmill. I'm actually going to try to go faster, so we shall see how that pans out....

And it's not as if all of my training has been leading to this, as I have barely done any for months. All I can think it may be is a better attitude and more of a "CAN DO" approach. I have a good goal in mind for Finland and I'm looking forward to going there. Mind you, I'm not looking forward to their weather... I bought a very thick warm coat yesterday in readiness for it!

No comments:

Post a Comment