Friday 27 June 2014

Walking again


Graeme went to the hospital yesterday and was expecting to hear that he could start putting weight on his foot next Monday or Tuesday, but after the surgeon looked at his latest x-ray he told him he could start walking straight away.

I got home from work yesterday to see him stood up, asking if I wanted a cup of coffee making. He looked so chuffed and the pain he has been having lately is all part of the healing process and will subside over the next couple of weeks with physio. I got a shock at how skinny he looked standing there, and when he weighed himself this morning he found he has lost 5KG. Of course, some of that is going to be down to muscle wastage but he should recover that soon. I'm also looking skinny too... I actually looked at myself properly today and was also a little surprised at how different I look. I'm down to 121 lbs now and I'd quite like to stay at this weight and not go any lower, so I am going to increase the amount of fat I eat. Last night (by way of celebration at Graemes' progress) we had white wine and he put a few bits of crappy party food in the oven. When it came out I had a small bite of each thing and then left it all. My tastebuds have definitely changed and I just didn't like the taste of any of it. It tasted cheap and crappy! I've been having very healthy fats (like coconut oil, flaxseed oil, olive oil etc) for 5 weeks now and anything else just tastes awful. I've even lost the need for a sweet fix after my evening meal. I bought almond butter and used to love a big spoon of it when I got in from work but now I just don't fancy it at all. Salted peanuts have taken the place of that, as I much prefer the savoury option (although I always did prefer savoury to sweet anyway).

It probably all sounds rather unhealthy, but I live on salads and fresh vegetables... mushrooms have to be my most favourite thing at the moment, and anything that is green... cabbage, green beans, broccoli, avocado, edamane beans, asparagus, spinach, rocket, watercress... I could go on, the list is endless. And cauliflower mash has to be one of the best things ever too!!!

I've read a lot of comments on Facebook recently where vegans are slamming the low carb high fat concept. Not sure why... unless they are referring to the Atkins way of life with excessive meat eating. I'm finding as a vegan I have managed to cope quite well... although I'm not on the Atkins diet, I like to refer to it as a ketogenic diet (because for me it's all about remaining in ketosis, which I have done for 5 weeks now). Life is starting to feel normal and if I feel a bit light headed, it's normally because I need sodium. I can't remember the last time I felt really hungry!

So, the good thing about Graeme is, he can probably start doing small amounts of training soon (upper body only I think in the beginning). Just being able to walk again is going to feel amazing and will start to strengthen everything up anyway. And I'm now back to having help at home with the mundane tasks, which is fantastic. :-)

I'm back to training tonight with some deadlifts and then over the weekend I'm looking at changing my run/walk ratio ready for the 24 hour race in September and for next years race plans!

No comments:

Post a Comment