Tuesday 17 May 2022

Getting bollocked off Garmin

Getting back to running after Covid wasn't too bad but unfortunately it put me back by about a fortnight. The Garmin coach Amy said yesterday was a 6 mile easy run but for me an easy run means walking all the time because my heart rate goes too high. I decided to bin her off to a certain degree and just run comfortably, ignore heart rate and if I needed to walk because of the hills I would do so. I wasn't expecting much... I haven't ran 6 miles without a walk break for 12 years.... Shocking as that is, I had a plan before and that worked for me but now I want to change it all!!!! The run was absolutely great. I felt comfortable throughout like I could hold a full conversation without pausing for breath. My breathing was slightly laboured going up one of the hills but nothing that could be classed as too strenuous. Now bear in mind, I was slow. Very slow... but I came back feeling good with no walk breaks and I didn't feel like I needed to lie down in a dark room to recover! Garmin wasn't impressed! Despite feeling like it was more or less a walk in the park, Garmin said I had overtrained, done a VO2 max run, had moved into unproductive training status, the run gave me "Room to grow" (not good!) and Amy had lost confidence in me. I wasn't discouraged. I've chosen to do things my way for a reason. So today was a 3 mile easy run. I chose to do a trail run (which I'm never ever really very good at) and for the purpose of actually trying to get fitter, I did chose to do this one to heart rate. To my surprise I was averaging 130's when I'm normally fighting to keep in under 140's, 120 downhill reducing to 111 and despite being trail, it wasn't until I got to 2.6 miles that I had to walk due to too high a heart rate. Maybe I am getting better after all. Garmin is still whingeing at me I've done too much but I'm pleased with how it's going so far!

No comments:

Post a Comment